Ferguson All Over Again: Chaos & Destruction Erupt In Minneapolis After George Floyd Death

Chaos erupted in Minneapolis after thousands of defiant protesters threw rocks at police demanding four officers be arrested for murder over the death of George Floyd.

George Floyd was arrested for forgery and a video captures police officer Derek Chauvin kneeling on his neck. Throughout the video, Floyd said that he could not breathe and an ambulance was called however Floyd passed away. Ben Crump the family’s attorney claimed this is similar to the Eric Garner case in New York City only worse.

“I mean it was 8 minutes. It is in many ways worse than Eric Garner as they have his knees on his neck and he is begging, pleading for not one minute, not two minutes, not three minutes but eight minutes.”

Protestors became unruly as they gathered around the area where Floyd died. They taunted police, threw rocks, and smashed Police vehicles. Protestors surrounded a Minneapolis police precinct and spray-painted on the walls.

Below is a video captured by Photojournalist Dymanh Chhoun that shows protesters inside Minneapolis Police’s 3rd Precinct parking lot smashing squad cars before officers show up and fire flash grenades inside to get them to disperse.

Police were forced to use rubber bullets and tear gas to protect local businesses and disperse the crowd.

CBS News reported:

Thousands flooded the streets at that same intersection Tuesday afternoon to protest Floyd’s death.

Organizers emphasized keeping this protest peaceful. People took turns sharing their frustrations and grief with the crowd. Chants of “I can’t breathe,” and “It could’ve been me,” filled the air.

At about 6 p.m., the protest turned into a march towards the 3rd Precinct, where it is believed that the officers worked. 

“It’s real ugly. The police have to understand that this is the climate they have created, this is the climate they created,” another protester said.

Officers then showed up in riot gear, and started firing tear gas and flash grenades as protesters hurled rocks, water bottles and anything they could get their hands on towards the officers.

I got on my knees and I put up a peace sign and they tear gassed me,” another protester said. “And I said, ‘Tear gas me again because non-violence seems healing.’”

The unruly crowd measured in the hundreds, a far cry from the peaceful group at the start of the protest.

The State’s stay at home order expired on May 18th however, gyms, indoor dining, organized youth sports, and large public gatherings are prohibited, under the Governors “Stay Safe” phased reopening.

Daily Mail | CBS News | MN.gov